Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Three Strikes and You're Out

Once upon a time....

I squashed what could have been my prince charming
while running in the woods
on a damp day

I felt him
like a ball of jelly
give way under my big clunky shoe

I skidded to a stop
and turned to face my victim
all sideways and tilted, unmoving on the trail

I picked up a stick
poke him and see if he moves
but his eyes melted my heart and made me hate myself

I left him alone
it's the only thing to do now
then check back later to see how he's fared

Turns out that Mr. Toad
was more resiliant than one would expect
he pulled himself together and moved off the trail

I'm much more careful now, where I stomp around
I try to see the moss and bugs and trees and toads
and where my footprints go

...might not be so lucky next time

1 comment: